Big South Conference Tournament Recaps

7:25 AM, Mar 8, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Conway, SC ( - Andre Smith knocked down a 3-pointer with one second left to lift Winthrop past High Point, 62-60, in the quarterfinals of the Big South Conference Tournament.

Keon Moore poured in a game-high 23 points and Smith added 12 for the Eagles (19-12), who will face UNC-Asheville in the semifinals on Saturday.

John Brown scored 17 points and Adam Weary added nine off the bench for the Panthers (16-4), who had won six straight coming into the contest.

Larry Brown's dunk with 1:44 left gave Winthrop a 57-53 lead, but Devante Wallace nailed a 3-pointer moments later to pull the Panthers within one.

Moore knocked down a jumper with less than a minute remaining to give the Eagles a 59-56 lead, but John Brown hit a pair of free throws to pull High Point within 59-58.

Smith missed the front-end of a 1-and-1 on the next possession and Weary buried a jumper with six seconds to play to give High Point a 60-59 lead before Smith knocked down the game-winner.

Neither side led by more than five throughout the contest.

Final Score: UNC-Asheville 96, Radford 87

Conway, SC ( - Jaron Lane poured in a game-high 29 points and Andrew Rowsey added 27 to help UNC-Asheville take a 96-87 win over Radford in the quarterfinals of the Big South Conference Tournament.

Lane finished 11-for-13 from the free throw line and Rowsey was 10-for-15 from the field -- including 5-for-7 from 3-point range.

D.J. Cunningham added 18 points, 19 rebounds and two blocks and Sam Hughes chipped in with 10 points for the Bulldogs (17-14), who will face Winthrop in the semifinals on Saturday.

Rashun Davis scored 22 points and handed out six assists off the bench for the Highlanders (21-12), who had a three-game winning streak snapped. R.J. Price scored 15 points while Kion Brown and Javonte Green chipped in with 14 and 13 points, respectively, in the loss.

Radford jumped out to a 13-11 lead less than six minutes into the game, but a 19-8 surge put Asheville in front 30-19. Rowsey highlighted the run with a pair of triples.

The Bulldogs stretched the lead to 15, 43-28, after Rowsey's fourth trey of the half, and Asheville owned a 47-36 lead at the break.

The Bulldogs led by double digits early in the second half, but Radford managed to pull within seven, 68-61, with 7:53 remaining. Rowsey stretched Asheville's lead back to double digits, 71-61, with a 3-pointer, but Radford countered with a 12-6 swing to make it a four-point game.

Lane made three free throws and got a layup to go with just over three minutes left to make it a 82-75 and Radford never got closer than five the rest of the way.

Final Score: Coastal Carolina 73, Charleston Southern 68 (2OT)

Conway, SC ( - Josh Cameron scored 20 points and grabbed four rebounds as the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers outlasted the Charleston Southern Buccaneers, 73-68, in a double-overtime Big South Conference Tournament quarterfinals clash at the HTC Center.

Warren Gillis contributed 18 points, eight rebounds and four assists for Coastal Carolina (19-12), which will advance to the Big South semifinals to face the Virginia Military Keydets. Elijah Wilson chipped in with 16 points and nine rebounds, while El Hadji Ndieguene and Badou Diagne pulled down 14 and 11 rebounds, respectively. The Chanticleers have won two games in a row.

Arlon Harper scored 21 points to pace Charleston Southern (13-18). Sheldon Strickland netted 19 points with six rebounds, and Matt Kennedy tallied 17 points in the loss, which was the third in the last four games for the Buccaneers.

Charleston Southern shot 40.7 percent in the first half, including 2-of-6 from 3-point range, to take a slim 25-22 lead at the intermission. Coastal Carolina hit on a dismal 25.9 percent of its shot attempts in the frame.

The Buccaneers dropped their shooting accuracy down to 33.3 percent in the second half, missing all seven 3-point tries in the period, but did connect on 12-of-12 from the free-throw line. The Chanticleers shot 27.3 percent from the field in the second, and hit 4-of-17 from distance. With 32 seconds remaining in regulation, Strickland connected on a jumper for Charleston Southern that knotted the game at 53-53. Neither team scored the rest of the way, which brought on the first extra period.

The Chanticleers led, 62-60, with under 20 seconds left to play in the first overtime when Harper hit a layup with 11 ticks left that tied the contest up. Cameron missed a 3-pointer with five seconds left that would have given Coastal Carolina the lead, and the teams remained deadlocked after the additional five minutes.

Wilson made a jumper for Coastal Carolina less than a minute into the second overtime period to give the Chanticleers the lead, then Cameron hit a 3- pointer with 2:27 left to give his team a 67-62 advantage. The Buccaneers were within three points of the lead, 71-68, with 12 seconds left, but two Coastal free throws iced the win.

Coastal Carolina had the advantage in rebounding, 59-41, and outscored Charleston Southern from 3-point range, 27-9. The Buccaneers won the battle in points in the paint, 34-12.

The Sports Network

Most Watched Videos