Conyers Man Falls from Upper Deck to Death at Braves Game

6:21 PM, Aug 13, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Ray Glier -- Special for USA TODAY

ATLANTA - The father of a spectator who fell to his death at an Atlanta Braves game Monday night said "he was as good a boy as you could ever hope for."

READ: Atlanta Police incident report of fall

The Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office said 30-year-old Ronald Homer of Conyers, Ga., died of his injuries from a 65-foot fall at Turner Field.

"He went up there to smoke a cigarette," Ronald Homer Sr. said Tuesday morning in a phone interview. "He was 6-foot-6, 6-foot-7, and those railings where he was are not tall enough; they are not tall enough for being that high up and that dangerous."

"This is not going to be the end of this," said Homer Sr., who added he and his wife, Connie, have considered talking with a lawyer about the incident.

"They need to fix that. That's a flaw in engineering," Homer Sr. said. "I don't care if we don't get a nickel, no one should go through what his mother and I are going through right now."

Homer Sr. said his son was a landscaper in the area and had a license to do chemical spraying. He lived at home with his parents.

"He wasn't just my son, he was my best friend," Homer Sr. said.

Homer's mother, Connie Homer, spoke with WXIA-TV on Tuesday morning in a phone call, remembering her son as a big Braves fan who enjoyed following the team with his father.

"He's six feet, six inches tall. That would have been a little-bitty fence," Connie Homer told 11Alive. "I wouldn't be surprised if he was leaning over looking at the cars in the players' parking lot."

She told the TV station she doubted her son was intoxicated.

"He might have had one or two beers but no more than that," she said. "He was tight with his money. He's a good guy."

Around 9 p.m. Monday, Homer fell approximately 65 feet from a stairwell at Turner Field to a concrete walkway leading to the Braves' players parking lot and died.

Mary Beth Hauptle, an investigator for the medical examiner's office, said Homer died moments after arriving at Atlanta Medical Center by ambulance.

Most Watched Videos