Has your pet ever found some scrap food on the floor, maybe while you were cooking dinner?
Did you ever wonder if he's not supposed to eat that little piece of food?
Veterinarian Bernard Hodges joined Weekend Mornin' to tell you about some foods your dog isn't supposed to eat.
He starts off with the most obvious: chocolate. The theobromine in the chocolate, which is a key component in the cacao plant where the chocolate comes from, is what causes harm to your dog. It can cause issues in the heart, like palpitations, says Dr. Hodges.
Grapes are another common item your dog cannot have. Even one grape, Dr. Hodges says, can contribute to kidney failure in a dog.
A small number of macadamia nuts, even just five or six, can cause liver failure in a dog.
If for some reason you decide to feed your dog garlic, don't. Garlic and onions can cause Heinz Body Anemia, where the broken-down onion or garlic attaches to red blood cells which the body then tries to destroy, according to Dr. Hodges.
Avocados are also poisonous to dogs, even in small amounts. They can cause liver failure as well, says Dr. Hodges.
Xylitol, one of the key ingredients in sugar-free gums, can cause dogs to produce too insulin and drastically lower their blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia). And they could die from the lowered blood sugar levels.
If your dog happens to ingest any of these foods, Dr. Hodges suggests feeding hydrogen peroxide to your dog. He recommends 5-8 tablespoons within 30 minutes of your dog eating these foods. He says the hydrogen peroxide is totally safe and will force the dog to vomit.