House Fire in Jones County Kills Elderly Woman

5:36 PM, Jul 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

A 80-year-old woman is dead and two people are injured after a fire broke out at a home in Gray.  It happened at 140 East Clinton St. Investigators said the fire was accidental. 

Fire investigators with the office of the state Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner say the victim was Sarah Clements. 

They say the fire started in the kitchen when something cooking was left unattended.

They report there was no evidence of a working smoke alarm. 

13WMAZ talked to the two of firefighters who pulled Clements from the burning home. 

"It was all touch-and-feel. There was no visibility, zero visibility. The only thing you could see was the orange glow of the fire from the other room," said Travis Touhy, a firefighter with Jones County Fire Department.   

Clements was trapped in her bedroom.  Firefighters rescued her and she was taken to the hospital where she ldied.

"I feel very sorry for the family, I am sorry for their loss. That's somebody's mama, that's somebody's sister, somebody's aunt, and I hate for anybody to pass that way," said Brock Wise, the other firefighter who went to take Clements out of the house. 

Firefighters got to the scene at about 9:28 Thursday morning.  When they arrived the fire was already burning and there was heavy damage.

A firefighter was also injured and he was taken to the hospital as well. 

His name is Bill Wright, and Chief Don Graham told 13WMAZ that he was in stable condition. 

The building was a one-story historic home over 100 years old.

Most Watched Videos