Warner Robins Couple Charged With Starving Child to Death

7:11 AM, Sep 15, 2010   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Correction: This story may have originally reported an incorrect address for King and Davis. They live at 104 Tiffany Place, Warner Robins.

 WARNER ROBINS, Ga. -- A Warner Robins couple faces murder and cruelty-to-children charges after medical crews found their 2-year-old son starved to death inside their home.

23-year-old Sade Shamon King and 25-year-old William Thomas Davis III are in the Houston County Jail without bond.

Investigators and neighbors say there are many unanswered questions about why D'Shawn Davis was isolated and neglected for nearly a year inside his home at 104 Tiffany Place.

JoAnn Smith, a neighbor, says she was shocked when the couple who lived next door were arrested Tuesday and accused of starving their son.

"Believe it or not. There's food in the back for the animals," she says, pointing to two healthy-looking pit bulls in the couple's backyard.

"The lady that lived here was very quiet, was very private," Smith says. "Her fiance did a lot of the talking. Seemed like a very nice man."

Smith says she hadn't seen the infant since the couple moved in nearly two years ago.

Police say they discovered the dead child when King called 911 Saturday and said her son wasn't breathing.

Medics say they found the boy dead on her bedroom floor, clearly malnourished. He weighed 12 pounds, 6 six ounces.

Following a news conference Tuesday, investigators showed graphic pictures of the emaciated child, but asked media not to use them. They say the child hadn't received any medical attention in the past ten months.

"It turned my stomach--some of the pictures I saw of how the child was treated," said Sheriff Cullen Talton, during the news conference.

The pictures show the boy's skin was raw in some parts--from laying in his own filth, according to investigators.

The Sheriff's Office says King was unemployed, a stay-at-home mom. It says Davis told them he worked long hours and didn't know the child's condition.

The couple's 5-year-old daughter also lived in the home but seemed in good health, it says. The girl is living with a grandmother now.

Capt. Jerry Stewart, with the juvenile division of the Sheriff's Office, called it "the most egregious case of neglect" he's seen in 37 years on the job.

Investigators say they don't think drug use played a role and wouldn't comment on the parents' mental condition. They say it could be weeks before the case is wrapped up.

But they and Smith are both looking for answers.

"They can feed their dogs, but they can't feed a child," Smith says incredulously.

Most Watched Videos