Jenny Pomeroy, the president and chief executive officer of Prevent Blindness Georgia, has died due to an allergic reaction to a fire ant sting.
Pomeroy went to her pool at her Buckhead condo last week and was stung by a fire ant, the Atlanta Business Chronicle reports.
Days later, Pomeroy died in an area hospital's intensive care unit from complications caused by anaphylactic shock, according to the newspaper article.
Friends of Pomeroy say she knew she was allergic to fire ants and carried an Epinephrine pen.
Below is the statement on the Prevent Blindness Georgia's website.
Prevent Blindness Georgia President/CEO Jenny Pomeroy passed away Monday evening, July 15, 2013 after an adverse reaction to an insect bite. Jenny assumed the leadership of Prevent Blindness Georgia, the state affiliate of Prevent Blindness America, in 1996.
Scott Pastor, MD, and Amy Hutchinson, MD, Co-Chairs of the board of Prevent Blindness Georgia, said Tuesday, "Our thoughts and prayers are with Jenny's family. This is a tremendous loss to the vision community and Jenny will forever be remembered as an innovative thinker and a selfless, dedicated leader in Atlanta and across the state of Georgia. We will miss her deeply."
Under Jenny's leadership, Prevent Blindness Georgia tripled its service delivery and budget while offering new programs for public education, training, and vision care services. On a national level, Prevent Blindness Georgia has been honoroed with the Prevent Blindness America Best Practice Award three times and with numerous other awards and honors.
The family has asked for privacy during this time. There will be a memorial service on July 31 at 11:00 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta, 1328 Peachtree St., Atlanta, GA 30309 with a reception immediately following.
In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that memorial gifts be made in honor of Jenny to:
Prevent Blindness Georgia
739 West Peachtree Street NW
Atlanta, GA 30308-1137