CANTON, Ga. (AP) - Fire department officials say a 5-year-old boy playing with a lighter started a fire in his grandmother's Cherokee County home.
Cherokee County fire department spokesman Tim Cavender tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that firefighters were called to the home in Canton just after 2 p.m. Thursday. They found heavy smoke coming from the two-story home.
Cavender says investigators determined the fire started in a bedroom and the boy admitted he'd been playing with a cigarette lighter in there.
Cavender says part of the house was damaged by smoke, fire and water, but firefighters prevented major damage. No injuries were reported.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)