CONYERS, Ga. (AP) - Firefighters plan to hand out free smoke detectors in the neighborhood where four children were killed in a fire at their duplex in Conyers.
Rockdale County spokeswoman Tonya Parker tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that firefighters will go door-to-door Thursday evening and install the smoke detectors for people needing help.
There was one smoke detector in the house, but fire officials have said there were no batteries in it at the time of the Jan. 8 blaze.
The fire killed 8-month-old Deon Glass; 3-year-old Armoni Roberts; 7-year-old Dar'Shawn Glass; and 9-year-old Ah'Dariya Glass. Reeba Glass, the children's mother, was hospitalized in serious condition with burns throughout her body at Grady Memorial Hospital
Investigators have said they believe the blaze was started by a child playing with a lighter.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)