WASHINGTON (AP) - A top Pentagon official says the U.S.-led military command in Afghanistan is taking a fresh look at measures designed to prevent "insider attacks" in which Afghan troops turn their guns on their U.S. and coalition partners.
Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Friday that the preventive measures taken in 2012 are being re-examined after two recent insider attacks - one last Saturday that killed three Americans and another Thursday that killed one American.
Speaking in an interview with a small group of reporters, Carter said the top U.S. commander in Kabul, Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, wants to determine whether this is a temporary spike in attacks or a lapse in protective measures. Last year, more than 60 coalition troops - mostly Americans - were killed in such attacks.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)