WASHINGTON (AP) - New details are emerging about last week's bombing that killed a young U.S. diplomat and four other Americans in Afghanistan.
A State Department official familiar with the investigation into the attack said Friday the group was walking from a military base to a school when the explosion hit. Initial reports that members of the group were in vehicles as well as reports they were lost are incorrect, the official said.
The official was not authorized to speak to news media and provided the details on condition of anonymity.
The official said on-foot travel was approved because of the short distance between the base and the school compound, and that the group tried to use an entrance to the compound that no longer provided access to the school and was moving to another entrance when the bomb detonated.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)