Vicky Murphy with Inland Seafood joined us on Eyewitness News Midday to show us a quick smoked salmon appetizer just in time for the holidays.
Smoked Salmon for the Holidays
Makes 24 hors d'oeuvres and can be prepared in 30 minutes or less.
• 2 cucumbers, scored and sliced diagonally into 24 slices
• ¼ cup rice vinegar
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise (reduced fat works well)
• 3 tablespoons sour cream
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
• 2 tablespoons capers, drained
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
• a side of smoked salmon (about 2 pounds)
• Garnish: fresh dill sprigs and lemon wedges
Place cucumber and vinegar is a small bowl for about 15 minutes.
Drain and rinse cucumber. Place slices on a medium sized serving platter.
Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, capers and onion in a small bowl and mix well.
Spread two teaspoons of mayonnaise-sour cream mixture on each cucumber slice. Place a piece of smoke salmon about 2" by 4" long on each slice of cucumber by doubling it over.
Garnish each hors d'oeuvres with a sprig of fresh dill. Place lemon wedges around serving platter. Serve immediately.