- Jones thanks 'Two and a Half Men' colleagues in first statement since Monday's controversial video
- The actor does not directly address video remarks, in which he asks people to stop watching 'Men'
- Former star Charlie Sheen weighs in, saying Jones' comments prove the show is "cursed"
Two and a Half Men's Angus T. Jones, the center of a media controversy after making critical comments about the series, late Tuesday made clear that he appreciates the opportunity he has had on the CBS hit comedy.
In his first statement regarding a video of a religious testimony in which he asked viewers to stop watching the show and said it contained "filth," the 19-year-old Jones expresses gratitude to his colleagues but does not address the video comments directly.
RELATED | 'Two and a Half Men' Actor not Expected on Set
"Without qualification, I am grateful to and have the highest regard and respect for all of the wonderful people on Two and a Half Men with whom I have worked and over the past 10 years who have become an extension of my family," he says in a statement.
Jones, who has played Jake Harper since Men's premiere in 2003, credits co-creator Chuck Lorre and others at CBS and Warner Bros., the show's producer, for "what has been one of the most significant experiences in my life to date. I thank them for the opportunity they have given and continue to give me and the help and guidance I have and expect to continue to receive from them."
The actor expressed regret to those connected to the show. "I apologize if my remarks reflect me showing indifference to and disrespect of my colleagues and a lack of appreciation of the extraordinary opportunity of which I have been blessed. I never intended that," he says.
In the video testimony, which became a viral sensation Monday, Jones said: "If you're watching Two and a Half Men, please stop watching Two and a Half Men. I'm on Two and a Half Men. I don't want to be on it. ... Please stop filling your head with filth."
CBS and Warner Bros. have declined comment on Jones' video statements or about his status on the show. Men has two episodes remaining to shoot before the holiday break. Jones will not appear in either of them, but they were written before the controversial video surfaced.
Since this is Men, no stranger to behind-the-scenes controversy, it shouldn't be surprising to find former star Charlie Sheen, who was fired early last year after a huge dust-up with management, offering his verdict on the matter to E! Online and People.
"With Angus's Hale-Bopp-like meltdown, it is radically clear to me that the show is cursed," Sheen says. (Hale-Bopp is a comet that flew by Earth in 1997, accompanied by a blaze of media hype.)