Thursday, April 12, Eyewitness News at 6

5:31 PM, Apr 12, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

HELLO EVERYONE AND THANKS FOR JOINING US....I'M LEAH JOHNSON..
AND I'M FRANK MALLOY.
THIS IS EYEWITNESS NEWS AT SIX...

ACCUSED MURDERER STEPHEN MCDANIEL IS STILL IN JAIL... FACING A 850-THOUSAND DOLLAR BOND.
MCDANIEL IS ACCUSED OF KILLING AND DECAPITATING MERCER LAW SCHOOL GRADUATE LAUREN GIDDINGS.
AT LAST WEEK'S BOND HEARING... DISTRICT ATTORNEY GREG WINTERS READ A GRAPHIC POST FROM AN ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM WRITTEN BY A POSTER NAMED S-O-L.... THAT HE SAID WAS STEPHEN MCDANIEL.
"Make her a special drink called a Mickey Finn. She's out cold. I finally lose my v-card. Oh no she O.D.'d and died. I barbeque her arms and legs to celebrate losing my v-card. Not in to organ meat. throw her torso out. Lose it on tv while the cops are discovering her remains.
THIS POST RAISES A FEW QUESTIONS...
CANDACE ADORKA JOINS US WITH MORE...
FRANK...LEAH... WINTERS SAYS THE POST WAS FOUND ON A MESSAGE BOARD CALLED OPERATORCHAN... CENTERED AROUND GUNS AND OTHER WEAPONS.
HE SAYS THEY KNOW THE USERNAME S-O-L... OR SON OF LIBERTY... IS MCDANIEL BECAUSE HE POSTED PICTURES OF HIMSELF WITH SUPREME COURT JUSTICE CLARENCE THOMAS UNDER THE SAME NAME.... AND A WITNESS IDENTIFIED MCDANIEL AS S-O-L.
HOWEVER ONE OF MCDANIEL'S ATTORNEYS... FRANK HOGUE... DOUBTS THAT HIS CLIENT WROTE THE POST READ IN COURT.
HE SAYS THERE WERE ALWAYS POLICE OFFICERS WITH MCDANIEL....IN THE HOURS BETWEEN HIS JUNE 30TH T-V INTERVIEWS ABOUT GIDDINGS' DISAPPEARANCE....AND HIS ARREST.
"so that means that if he wrote it, it had to have been written prior to those events having occured and so you would have had to predict that police were gonna find the torso and that TV cameras would have to be in a place where he could pretend to be losing it on TV. I don't know, that sounds... that stretches credibility in my view."
WINTERS DECLINED TO COMMENT ON WHEN THE MESSAGE WAS POSTED... AND ADMINISTRATORS OF THE SITE OPERATORCHAN SAY THEY DON'T HAVE ANY ARCHIVES OF THE POST.
BUT BY EMAILS, ONE ADMINISTRATOR WRITES "DUE TO THE ANONYMOUS NATURE OF THE FORUM, ANYONE COULD HAVE USED THIS NICKNAME OR HANDLE....AFTER MCDANIEL'S ARREST, SOME PEOPLE HAVE USED THE SOL NICKNAME TO MAKE FUNNY COMMENTS REGARDING THE CASE."
JUST THIS WEEK... AT LEAST FIVE PEOPLE HAVE POSTED ON THE SITE USING THE SCREEN NAME S-O-L... OTHERS AS STEPHEN MCDANIEL HIMSELF... AND A FEW MORE SAYING THEY REMEMBER THE POST READ IN COURT..... AND THAT IT WAS POSTED LONG AFTER HIS ARREST.
HOGUE SAYS THE D-A COULDN'T USE THAT STATEMENT AT TRIAL....WITHOUT SHOWING A JUDGE EVIDENCE THAT IT WAS ACTUALLY WRITTEN BY MCDANIEL.
"I don't say he doesn't have that. I just say he didn't produce it at the bond hearing and I won't get the chance to investigate it futher until I get the evidence in a week. And I asume that somewhere in the evidence they're gonna provide to us, that there will be a copy of the post and perhaps a report by someone who's a computer expert or this witness that he didn't name that can tie it to mcdaniel or at least proport to tie it to mcdaniel."
NEXT FRIDAY... THE D-A IS SUPPOSED TO TURN OVER ALL THEIR EVIDENCE TO THE DEFENSE.
THAT'S CALLED THE DISCOVERY PART OF THE CASE.
THANKS CANDACE
WINTERS PRESENTED OTHER EVIDENCE DURING LAST WEEK'S HEARING... AND HOGUE SAYS HE DOUBTS THE POST WILL BE A CENTRAL PART OF THEIR CASE.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN MADE HIS FIRST COURT APPEARANCE TODAY... AFTER BEING CHARGED WITH SECOND-DEGREE MURDER IN THE DEATH OF 17-YEAR-OLD TRAYVON MARTIN.
AN ARRAIGNMENT IS SET FOR MAY 29.
HIS ATTORNEY DID NOT ASK THE JUDGE TO SET A BOND.
ZIMMERMAN CLAIMS HE SHOT MARTIN IN SELF-DEFENSE.
TODAY'S 13WMAZ DOT COM WEB POLL ASKS... IS THE SECOND-DEGREE MURDER CHARGE AGAINST GEORGE ZIMMERMAN IN THE TRAYVON MARTIN CASE JUSTIFIED?
SO FAR 61 PERCENT OF YOU SAY NO.
AND 39 PERCENT SAY YES.
VOTE NOW... VISIT 13WMAZ DOT COM AND LOOK FOR THE QUESTION ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE HOMEPAGE.

MACON'S HISTORIC RIVERSIDE CEMETERY COULD SEE SOME CHANGES SOON.
TODAY... THE CEMETERY'S CONSERVANCY ANNOUNCED THE FIRST STEPS TOWARD A MASTER PLAN FOR PRESERVING THE SITE.
AUSTIN LEWIS IS AT THE CEMETERY... WITH A LOOK AT SOME OF THE CHANGES ON THE SCHEDULE... AUSTIN?

A BIG MAN....CAUSED A BIG STIR...IN WARNER ROBINS LAST NIGHT.
SHAQUILLE O'NEAL STOPPED AT THE MELLOW MUSHROOM ON LAKE JOY ROAD.
KATELYN HECK TALKED TO FOLKS WHO GOT A CHANCE TO MEET THE BASKETBALL LEGEND.
<<
(NATS: cooking)
BUSINESS SIZZLED AT MELLOW MUSHROOM WEDNESDAY NIGHT.... WHEN THIS MAN WALKED THROUGH THE FRONT DOORS.
(SOT:you could just hear the whispers in the restaurant like 'oh my gosh is that shaq?' 'that's shaq!')
THE SEVEN-FOOT-ONE BASKETBALL STAR STOPPED SHORTLY AFTER SIX OCLOCK.
(SOT: he came in and ordered his food to go and we packed it all up, but then he told us to unpack it and he ate it right here at mellow mushroom.)
O'NEAL CHOWED DOWN ON A CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD.... THEN HE AND TWO BUDDIES SHARED A MEATBALL APPETIZER... A PLATE NOW CALLED THE "SHAQ SPECIAL".
(SOT: i usually try to make my food good, but i definitely put a little more love in it since i was making it for shaq!)
WORD SPREAD LIKE WILDFIRE .... AND THE RESTAURANT FILLED UP QUICKLY.
(SOT: we had 15 consecutive phone calls with people asking if he was really here. then people started showing up saying they were 'just looking for their friend.)
(SOT: we told him, look youre in a small town and people are going to want to take pictures with you and he said 'oh thats alright.')
THE FORMER N-B-A PLAYER POSED ...AND TALKED TO FANS.
(SOT: he signed our mellow mushroom calendar, its the first thing we've ever had signed by a celebrity here)
(SOT: i asked him what he was doing here in warner robins and he just looked at me and said 'just chilling')
FOLKS SAY SHAQ MAY HAVE LEFT THE BUILDING... BUT THE MEMORIES OF HIS UNEXPECTED VISIT... WILL LAST A LIFETIME.

KATELYN HECK
13WMAZ EYEWITNESS NEWS
>> MELLOW MUSHROOM MANAGER CYNDIE SMITH SAYS SHAQ WOULDNT SAY WHY HE SHOWED UP IN CENTRAL GEORGIA.
BUT HE DID TELL HER...THIS WASN'T HIS FIRST TIME STOPPING IN THE INTERNATIONAL CITY... AND IT WON'T BE HIS LAST.

A WAR RAGES ON BETWEEN E-BOOKS AND THE PRINTED PAGE.
THE CHARACTERS INCLUDE THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE VERSUS APPLE AND FIVE MAJOR PUBLISHERS OVER PRICES.
JUDY LE STOPPED BY BARNES AND NOBLE TO SEE WHAT WHAT AVID READERS HAVE TO SAY.
<<
THIN...SLEEK...AND CONVENIENT
sot angela castonguay: 14 i bought a nook from barnes and noble for my husbands 12th wedding anniversary 19
sot rusby craig: 32 i have an ereader on my iphone. i also have one on my macbook44
sot sharon hopper: 44 i have a kindle. i have one of the older kinds and i enjoy the ability to be able to travel witht hat 51
E-BOOK POPULARITY HAS BEEN ON THE RISE...THAT'S BECAUSE OF THE AFFORDIBILITY AND ACCESSIBILITY OF TABLETS AND E-READERS.
standup: new surverys from the pew research center found that americans are reading ebooks now more than ever. with at least 1 in 5 people reading at least one e-book per year. in 2008, the ebook industry made $78 million dollars in sales. 3 years later, that number jumped to $1.7 billion.
MANY BUYERS....LIKE RUSHBY CRAIG.... ASSUME THAT E-BOOKS ARE CHEAPER THAN THE PAPER VERSION.
sot rushby craig: 227 the books are considerbly less money if you buy them electronically 237
BUT THAT'S ALWAYS NOT THE CASE. THE NEWEST CHAPTER IN THE BATTLE HAS THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE FILING AN ANTI-TRUST LAWSUIT AGAINST APPLE AND FIVE MAJOR PUBLISHERS FOR DRIVING UP PRICES.
SOT sharon hopper: 229 i do think that some ebooks have gotten a little price and have lost the perspective of the fact that we can walk in and just buy a hardback book for maybe cheaper so i'm glad someones looking into it and regulating the cost of it so that we're not being taken advantage of as a consumer 248
SEVERAL E-READERS TOLD US THEY'D BE MORE LIKELY TO STOCK UP ON THEIR ELECTRONIC LIBRARY MORE OFTEN....IF THE PRICES DROPPED.
JUDY LE...13WMAZ...EYEWITNESS NEWS.


>> THREE OF THE FIVE PUBLISHERS HAVE ALREADY SETTLED.
CONNECTICUT'S ATTORNEY GENERAL SAYS CONSUMERS PAID MORE THAN A HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS EXTRA BECAUSE OF THE PRICE CHANGES.

A WARNER ROBINS DEVELOPER SAYS HE WILL START TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR ONE-HUNDRED JOBS AT HIS FAMILY FUN CENTER NEXT MONTH.
STEVE RIGBY PLANNED TO OPEN THE ENTERTAINMENT VENUE IN APRIL.. BUT RAIN AND CHANGES TO CONSTRUCTION PLANS DELAYED THE OPENING.
RIGBY DECIDED TO ADD 10-THOUSAND SQUARE FEET TO THE HIGHWAY 96 BUILDING... BRINGING IT TO 50-THOUSAND SQUARE FEET.
HE ADDED BATTING CAGES... GO-CARTS... A TWO STORY LASER TAG ARENA AND SIX CORPORATE EVENT ROOMS.
RIGBY SAYS IT'S A MAJOR INVESTMENT... SO HE WANTED TO MAKE SURE IT'S DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME... BEFORE OPENING TO THE PUBLIC.
Steve Rigby, Warner Robins: (47:20) "This is a big deal. There's nothing like this going on anywhere right now. For this to be coming to Warner Robins says a alot for our city. I have enough confidence in this city to not only live here and raise a family, but to have a huge investment here as well."
RIGBY SAYS HE'S HIRED A FEW MANAGERS... BUT WILL START TAKING APLLICATONS FOR OTHER JOBS NEXT MONTH.
FOR INFORMATION ON APPLYING... GO TO THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE.
SEARCH RIGBYS FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER AND CLICK THE "LIKE" BUTTON.

THANKS FOR JOINING US.... WE'LL BE BACK TONIGHT AT 11.
BUT REMEMBER...THE NEWS IS ALWAYS ON AT 13WMAZ.COM !
THE EVENING NEWS IS UP NEXT.
HAVE A SAFE NIGHT EVERYONE.


Most Watched Videos