Wednesday, October 12, Eyewitness News at 11

11:34 PM, Oct 12, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

GOOD EVENING AND THANKS FOR JOINING US..
I'M FRANK MALLOY... THIS IS EYEWITNESS NEWS AT 11.

THE CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR WARNER ROBINS CITY COUNCIL FACED OFF TONIGHT IN A CITIZEN HOSTED FORUM.
TEN OF THE ELEVEN PEOPLE RUNNING FOR THE THREE SEATS ANSWERED QUESTIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE.
LORRA LYNCH JONES BRINGS YOU SOME OF THE ISSUES DISCUSSED.
<<nats- host
AN OVERFLOW CROWD SHOWED UP TO HEAR ISSUES FACING WARNER ROBINS... AT A FORUM HOSTED BY THE CONCERNED CITIZENS OF HOUSTON COUNTY.
nats-
POST FOUR CANDIDATES GEORGE ZORILLA... MIKE BRASHEAR AND GENE HARRINGTON TOOK THE PODIUM FIRST... EXPLAINING WHY THEY WANT TO SERVE ON CITY COUNCIL.
George Zorilla:
Mike Brashear:
Gene Harrington
THE QUESTIONS TURNED IN BY AUDIENCE MEMBERS RANGED FROM TRASH AND REDUCING CRIME... TO HOW THE POST TWO CANDIDATES TIM THOMAS... ALEX TALLEY... CAROLYN ROBBINS AND STEVE RIGBY... FEEL ABOUT ALLOWING ALL TYPES OF PRAYER... NOT CHRISTIAN PRAYERS... AT COUNCIL MEETINGS.
Tim Thomas
Alex Talley
Carolyn Robbins
Steve Rigby
THE POST SIX CANDIDATES NEAL ERWIN... JOHN WILLIAMS AND MIKE DAVIS FACED QUESTIONS ABOUT WHEN AND IF A CITY PAY SCALE SHOULD BE STARTED.
Neal Erwin
John Williams
Mike Davis
STD>>
POST TWO CANDIDATE JEFFERY WALKER DID NOT ATTEND TONIGHTS FORUM.
THE ELECTION IS TUESDAY NOVEMBER 8TH.

NEWTOWN MACON CELEBRATED ANOTHER YEAR OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS THIS EVENING AND LOOKED FORWARD TO NEW PROJECTS.
ABOUT ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PEOPLE ATTENDED THE ANNUAL PRESENTATION AT THE GEORGIA SPORTS HALL OF FAME.
MACON WATER AUTHORITY DIRECTOR TONY ROJAS PRESENTED THE YEAR IN REVIEW... HE SAYS SINCE 2007 NEWTOWN MACON BROUGHT SIXTY SEVEN NEW BUSINESS TO DOWNTOWN MACON.
HE SAYS THEY ALSO RESTORED THIRTY FOUR BUSINESS FACADES... AND OBTAINED SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS.
ROJAS SAYS THEY HAVE SEVERAL PROJECTS PLANNED FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS... INCLUDING THE RENOVATION OF THE CAPRICORN RECORDS BUILDING INTO A RECORDING STUDIO AND LOFT APARTMENTS.
THEY ALSO PLAN TO HELP RENOVATE THE DANNENBERG BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN MACON... AND RENOVATE OR BUILD SEVERAL NEW APARTMENT PROJECTS.

LONG-TIME FORT VALLEY MAYOR JOHN STUMBO APOLOGIZED TO HIS FAMILY AND HIS CITY AFTER HE WAS CHARGED WITH DRUNKEN DRIVING.
MONROE COUNTY SHERIFF JOHN CARY BITTICK SAID STUMBO WAS CHARGED WITH DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL... AND HAVING AN OPEN CONTAINER ON SEPTEMBER 29TH.
THIS AFTERNOON...STUMBO'S OFFICE RELEASED A STATEMENT THAT SAID...IN PART....
'I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBLITY FOR THE TERRIBLE DECISION I MADE TO CONSUME ALCOHOL AND THEN DRIVE. I AM SORRY FOR THE EMBARRASSMENT I HAVE BROUGHT UPON MY FAMILY AND THE CITY THAT I LOVE...."
BITTICK SAYS STUMBO WAS FOUND PARKED IN THE EMERGENCY LANE ON INTERSTATE 75... NEAR THE ENTRANCE TO THE WEIGH STATION JUST NORTH OF FORSYTH.
BITTICK SAID STUMBO'S BLOOD-ALCOHOL LEVEL WAS POINT 0-8-7.
THAT'S JUST OVER THE LEGAL LIMIT OF POINT 0-8-0.
STUMBO WAS RELEASED THAT NIGHT ON A 19 HUNDRED DOLLAR PROPERTY BOND.
HE IS SERVING HIS FOURTH TERM AS MAYOR OF FORT VALLEY.

TWO PEOPLE ARE ACCUSED OF SHOOTING AND KILLING A 72-YEAR-OLD BALDWIN COUNTY MAN LAST WEEK.
CAPTAIN BRAD KING WITH THE BALDWIN COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE SAID THE SOUTHEAST REGIONAL FUGITIVE TASK FORCE ARRESTED A WOMAN AND A MAN....ASHLEIGH RICKS AND ANDRE BROWN... IN MACON THIS AFTERNOON.
HE SAYS 72-YEAR-OLD MANDLE CHARLEY WATERS WAS FOUND DEAD IN HIS CAR FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
KING SAYS A PASSERBY NOTICED HIS CAR PULLED OVER AT LEWIS COURT AND KEMP AVENUE.
HE SAYS WATERS WAS SHOT TWICE IN THE CHEST.
KING SAYS THEY BELIEVE THE MOTIVE WAS ROBBERY.
THE TWO SUSPECTS WILL BE TAKEN TO THE BALDWIN COUNTY JAIL.

DEMOLITION BEGAN AT THE MACON MALL THIS WEEK... AS CREWS STARTED TEARING DOWN THE OLD PARISIANS BUILDING.
TODAY CREWS USED EXCAVATORS TO RIP DOWN THE TWO STORY BUILDING...
AS PIECES CAME TUMBLING DOWN... THEY SORTED THE DEBRIS INTO PILES... OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF METAL AS WELL AS SHEET ROCKS AND INSULATION...
MARKETING DIRECTOR MISHAY BINGHAM SAY THAT'S PARTS OF THE GREEN PROJECT TO RENOVATE THE MALL
Mshay Bingham: "They're in the process of separting the materials that they're tearing down. They're separting it into steel, metal and copper because we're going green and the entire project that we have at the macon mall is a eco-friendly going green project."
DEMOLITION BEGAN ON TUESDAY..
BINGHAM SAYS SHE EXPECTS IT TO TAKE A COUPLE OF DAYS TO COMPLETE.
ABOUT A FORTH OF THE BUILDING HAS BEEN TORN DOWN.

MACON MAYOR ROBERT REICHERT SAYS HE'S DISAPPOINTED....BUT HE'LL MOVE ON....AFTER CITY COUNCIL VOTED TO REINSTATE PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR RICHARD POWELL.
IN AN AFTERNOON NEWS CONFERENCE.. THE MAYOR ALSO SAID HE'LL DO HIS BEST TO GET ALONG WITH POWELL WHEN HE RETURNS TO WORK MONDAY.
BY A TEN TO FOUR VOTE.. COUNCIL REINSTATED POWELL TUESDAY NIGHT AFTER SEVEN HOURS OF TESTIMONY AND DELIBERATIONS.
REICHERT FIRED POWELL IN FEBRUARY.. AND IN TUESDAY HEARING.. REICHERT GAVE SEVERAL REASONS .. SAYING POWELL MISMANAGED THE DEPARTMENT...AND COULD NOT CREATE A PROPER BUDGET.
COUNCILMAN LONNIE MILEY SAYS REICHERT DIDN'T PROVE HIS CASE..
BUT REICHERT SAYS HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE COUNCIL VOTE.
Robert Reichert, Macon Mayor: I am still dumbfounded by the results of Mr. Powell's appeal hearing. Yet, I have every intention to try to follow through on council's reinstatement.
Lonnie Miley, Councilman: They never proved their point to me that there was anything that was directly related to his job that he should've been fired for.
REICHERT SAYS POWELL WILL BE PAID MORE THAN FIFTY-ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS IN BACK PAY.
BUT... THE MAYOR SAYS POWELL WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED FOR HIS ATTORNEY FEES.

TONIGHT'S FACEBOOK FAN OF THE DAY IS JIMMY THOMPSON.
JIMMY... YOU'LL NEED TO EMAIL FAN OF THE DAY AT 13WMAZ DOT COM TO CLAIM YOUR COFFEE MUG.
IT WAS A DARK AND MISTY NIGHT... THE FAN BOOTED UP HIS COMPUTER... NOT QUITE SURE WHAT COMPELLED HIM TO VISIT FACEBOOK DOT COM SLASH 13WMAZ.
ALL HE KNEW AS HE CLICKED THE LIKE BUTTON WAS THAT HE'D HAD A STRANGE DREAM OF DRINKING HIS MORNING COFFEE FROM A 13WMAZ MUG.
BUT WHEN HE JOINED THE CONVERSATIONS... HE FOUND THAT HE WASN'T THE ONLY ONE....

KIDS IN TWIGGS COUNTY JOINED OTHERS ACROSS THE NATION IN AN EFFORT TO JUMP THEIR WAY INTO THE RECORD BOOKS.
IT'S A STORY THAT COMES.. STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART.
MORE THAN 300 KIDS... FROM JEFFERSONVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL... DID JUMPING JACKS NON-STOP FOR 60 SECONDS.
IT'S ALL PART OF "LET'S JUMP... A NATIONWIDE INITIATIVE LED BY FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA.
THE GOAL IS SIMPLE... BREAK THE WORLD RECORD FOR THE MOST NUMBER OF PEOPLE DOING JUMPING JACKS IN A 24-HOUR WINDOW.
TEACHERS SAY THE EVENT IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT ENCOURAGES KIDS TO LIVE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.
"It's just encouraging healthy habits. Students need to be aware that not only being healthy is about eating good but about being exercising as well"
THE KIDS PRACTICED FOR THE BIG DAY FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK DURING RECESS.

Most Watched Videos