HELLO EVERYONE AND THANKS FOR JOINING US....
I'M LEAH JOHNSON..
AND I'M FRANK MALLOY..THIS IS EYEWITNESS NEWS AT SIX.
LONG-TIME FORT VALLEY MAYOR JOHN STUMBO HAS APOLOGIZED FOR DRINKING AND DRIVING LAST MONTH.. MONROE COUNTY SHERIFF JOHN CARY BITTICK SAYS STUMBO WAS CHARGED WITH DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL... AND HAVING AN OPEN CONTAINER ON SEPTEMBER 29TH.
THIS AFTERNOON...STUMBO'S OFFICE RELEASED A STATEMENT THAT SAID...IN PART....
'I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBLITY FOR THE TERRIBLE DECISION I MADE TO CONSUME ALCOHOL AND THEN DRIVE.
I AM SORRY FOR THE EMBARRASSMENT I HAVE BROUGHT UPON MY FAMILY AND THE CITY THAT I LOVE...."
THE ARREST HAPPENED JUST AFTER 6:45 P-M ON THE 29TH...
A POLICE REPORT SAID... STUMBO TOLD POLICE HE HAD BEEN DRINKING THAT AFTERNOON.
AMY AUBERT RECEIVED A COPY OF THAT REPORT... AND HAS MORE ON THIS STORY.
<<"According to Monroe County Sheriff, John Bittick, the incident happened on I-75 South in Monroe County when a sheriff's deputy noticed a car pulled over in an emergency lane with the right blinker on. The of that car--Fort Valley Mayor, John Stumbo. According to the police report, a deputy says Mayor Stumbo was slumped over the steering wheel and bobbing his head with no movement when the deputy turned on his lights and honked his horn. The report says Stumbo identified himself to the deputy as the Mayor of Fort Valley and admitted to drinking vodka in his car earlier that day. According to the report, the deputy found an open bottle of vodka and Mayor Stumbo showed the deputy his cup in the center console he says he was drinking from. The report says Mayor Stumbo failed breathalizer tests and field sobriety tests and was 7 thousandths of a point over the legal blood alcohol level for driving. According to Sheriff Bittick, Mayor Stumbo says he was on his way back from a meeting in Atlanta. Stumbo was taken to the Monroe County Jail and his car towed from the scene. In Fort Valley, I'm Amy Aubert, 13WMAZ, Eyewitness News.>>
STUMBO HAS BEEN IN OFFICE FOR 14 YEARS.
HE WAS ELECTED TO A FOURTH TERM IN 2009.
HE'S A LAWYER AND FORMER LAW SCHOOL ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR.
STUMBO ALSO VOLUNTEERS WITH THE BOYS SCOUTS AND SALVATION ARMY... AND WROTE A FIVE-VOLUME STUDY OF THE BIBLE.
SHERIFF BITTICK SAYS STUMBO WAS RELEASED THE SAME DAY HE WAS ARRESTED.... ON 19 HUNDRED DOLLARS BOND.
WE WENT TO MAYOR STUMBO'S HOME AND OFFICE TODAY... AND COULD NOT REACH HIM.
HIS OFFICE RELEASED A STATEMENT LATER IN THE DAY.
CREWS WORKED TODAY AT THE MACON MALL... TEARING DOWN AN OLD RETAIL STORE...
AS PART OF RENOVATION PLANS... THE MALL'S OWNERS PLAN TO TEAR DOWN THE EAST WING... AND PARISIANS TOOK THE FIRST HIT...
BRITTINY BARBER SPENT MOST OF THE DAY AT SITE ..... BRITTINY WHAT DID YOU SEE?
THROUGHOUT THE DAY CREWS USED EXCAVATORS OTHER RIP INTO THE BUILDING...
THEY WOULD GRAB STEEL BEAMS OR CONCRETE AND TEAR THEM OUT.. BRINGING OTHER PARTS OF THE FORMER STORE WITH THEM...
RENOVATIONS HERE ARE IN FULL SWING.. AND MANAGERS HOPE DESTRUCTION LIKE THIS.... PAVES THE WAY FOR A BRIGHT FUTURE FOR THE SHOPPING CENTER.
nats of demo...
CREWS WORKED WEDNESDAY.. TEARING DOWN THE FORMER PARISIANS BUILDING...
JUST PART OF THE PLANS TO RENOVATE.. MACON MALL
SADIE MUFF'S SEEN THE TRANSFORMATION FIRSTHAND...
sadie muff, Macon: "I come over here everyday and walk. I walk every morning at the mall."
SHE SAYS BREAKING DOWN THE OLD, EMPTY WING.... MAY BE THE FRESH START THE MALL NEEDS.
muff: "I think it wil be better if they fill it up over here. Theyll get more business."
Mishay Bingham: "this is the starting point....."
MARKETING DIRECTOR MISHAY BINGHAM... SAYS THE ENTIRE EAST WING WILL BE TORN DOWN SOON... BUT THE FOCUS NOW REVOLVES AROUND THIS ONE STORE
bingham: "We should be done in the next couple of days. We've got several trucks coming in here to take care of the materials and recycle them for us...
THEY'RE CALLING THE ENTIRE RENOVATION PLAN.. A GREEN PROJECT....
JUST ONE EXAMPLE... CREWS SORTING THE METALS FOR PICK UP...
AND AS THE WALLS CONTINUE TO COME DOWN... MANGEMENT SAYS IT'S A SMALL STEP TOWARD REVITALIZING THE MALL.
Bingham:"We hope people see the compassion that we have for bringing the mall back. and our desire to bring shoppers and patrons back to mall and make sure that they feel safe and secure.">>
BINGHAM SAYS THE DEMOLITION IS JUST ONE PART OF THE RENOVATION PLANS...
SHE SAYS ONCE THIS PROJECT IS COMPLETED.... THEY'LL DECIDE WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT.
YOU CAN WATCH MORE VIDEO OF THE DEMOLITION OF THE MALL ON OUR WEBSITE.. 13WMAZ DOT COM AND ON M-A-Z MOBILE.
MACON MAYOR ROBERT REICHERT SAYS HE REMAINS DUMBFOUNDED AND DISAPPOINTED OVER CITY COUNCILS DECISION TO REINSTATE FIRED PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR RICHARD POWELL..
BUT DESPITE COUNCIL CREATING WHAT REICHERT CALLS A "VERY DIFFICULT SITUATION".. THE MAYOR PROMISED TO DO HIS BEST TO WORK WITH POWELL WHEN HE RETURNS TO HIS OLD JOB MONDAY.
REICHERT FIRED POWELL IN FEBRUARY.. BUT COUNCIL VOTED TEN-FOUR TO REINSTATE HIM AFTER SEVEN HOURS OF TESTIMONY AND DELIBERATIONS TUESDAY NIGHT.
WHILE VOWING TO ASSIST POWELL ON HIS RETURN.. REICHERT ALSO SAYS POWELL WON'T GET SPECIAL TREATMENT.
COUNCILMAN LONNIE MILEY SAYS REICHERT DIDN'T PROVE HIS CASE AGAINST POWELL.
BUT COUNCILWOMAN NANCY WHITE SAYS REICHERT PROVIDED MORE THAN ENOUGH EVIDENCE... AND SHE SAYS COUNCIL'S ACTIONS UNDERMINES THE MAYOR'S AUTHORITY.
Nancy White: Councilwoman: It greatly undermines the executive versus legislative powers. This is very meddlesome. We are now on a slippery slope. Is every department head's job security going to be based on who is or is not on City Council and who they are in favor with on City Council and who they are not in favor with?
Lonnie Miley, Councilman: Public Works director Mr. Powell to me the only thing that was proven in this hearing, the only thing that was shown in this hearing that he was fired unjustly and there was nothing concerning his firing that dealt with his job directly or told that he was an incompetent director.
Robert Reichert: There will be no special treatment of Mr. Powell either favorable or unfavorable. I'm not going to go on a witch hunt you know, but I'm surely going to make him tow the line. I mean we're going to try to put him back to work like any other department head and every other department head.
SINCE POWELL WAS REINSTATED.. REICHERT SAYS HE'LL BE PAID MORE THAN FIFTY-ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS IN BACK PAY.
BUT THE MAYOR SAYS POWELL WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED FOR HIS ATTORNEY FEES.
LAST NIGHT...GOP PRESIDENTIAL CONTENDERS SQUARED OFF IN A DEBATE IN NEW HAMPISHIRE.
TODAY'S 13 WMAZ DOT COM WEB POLL ASKS... WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT?
5 PERCENT OF YOU SAY MICHELE BACHMANN
52 PERCENT OF YOU SAY HERMAN CAIN
7 PERCENT OF YOU SAY NEWT GINGRICH
6 PERCENT OF YOU SAY RON PAUL....
12 PERCENT OF YOU SAY RICK PERRY
15 PERCENT OF YOU SAY MITT ROMNEY
AND 1 PERCENT OF YOU SAY RICK SANTORUM
SO FAR.. JON HUNTSMAN AND GARY JOHNSON HAVE LESS THAN ONE PERCENT EACH.
TO VOTE NOW.. VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT 13 WMAZ DOT COM.. AND LOOK FOR THE WEB POLL QUESTION ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF OUR HOMEPAGE.
TWO PEOPLE ARE ACCUSED OF SHOOTING AND KILLING A 72-YEAR-OLD BALDWIN COUNTY MAN LAST WEEK.
CAPTAIN BRAD KING WITH THE BALDWIN COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE SAID THE SOUTHEAST REGIONAL FUGITIVE TASK FORCE ARRESTED A WOMAN AND A MAN....ASHLEIGH RICKS AND ANDRE BROWN... IN MACON THIS AFTERNOON.
HE SAYS 72-YEAR-OLD MANDLE CHARLEY WATERS WAS FOUND DEAD IN HIS CAR FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
KING SAYS A PASSERBY NOTICED HIS CAR PULLED OVER AT LEWIS COURT AND KEMP AVENUE.
HE SAYS WATERS WAS SHOT TWICE IN THE CHEST.
KING SAYS THEY BELIEVE THE MOTIVE WAS ROBBERY.
THE TWO SUSPECTS WILL BE TAKEN TO THE BALDWIN COUNTY JAIL.
AS YOU NEAR RETIREMENT AGE... YOU MAY WONDER WHETHER TO PAY OFF YOUR HOUSE.
SHERRI GOSS WITH ROSENBERG FINANCIAL GROUP IS HERE WITH SOME ADVICE.
SHERRI... WHEN IS PAYING OFF YOUR HOUSE THE RIGHT THING TO DO?
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS FOR SHERRI CALL HER AT 752-1374 OR EMAIL HER AT EYEWITNESSNEWS@13WMAZ.COM.
SHE'LL BE HERE UNTIL 6:30..
KIDS IN TWIGGS COUNTY JOINED OTHERS ACROSS THE NATION IN AN EFFORT TO JUMP THEIR WAY INTO THE RECORD BOOKS.
IT'S A STORY THAT COMES.. STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART.
MORE THAN 300 KIDS... FROM JEFFERSONVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL... DID JUMPING JACKS NON-STOP FOR 60 SECONDS.
IT'S ALL PART OF "LET'S JUMP... A NATIONWIDE INITIATIVE LED BY FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA.
THE GOAL IS SIMPLE... BREAK THE WORLD RECORD FOR THE MOST NUMBER OF PEOPLE DOING JUMPING JACKS IN A 24-HOUR WINDOW.
TEACHERS SAY THE EVENT IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT ENCOURAGES KIDS TO LIVE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.
"It's just encouraging healthy habits. Students need to be aware that not only being healthy is about eating good but about being exercising as well"
THE KIDS PRACTICED FOR THE BIG DAY FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK DURING RECESS.
THANKS FOR JOINING US.... WE'LL BE BACK TONIGHT AT 11.
BUT REMEMBER...THE NEWS IS ALWAYS ON AT 13WMAZ.COM !
THE EVENING NEWS IS UP NEXT.
HAVE A SAFE NIGHT EVERYONE