Friday, September 23, Eyewitness News at 6

1:54 PM, Sep 20, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

"A wonderful husband that I'm going to miss. I can't even describe how I'm going to miss him."
EMOTIONAL WORDS FROM A WARNER ROBINS WOMAN AS SHE REMEMBERS HER HUSBAND OF 13 YEARS... WHO WAS SHOT AND KILLED DURING A ROBBERY LAST NIGHT.
HELLO EVERYONE AND THANKS FOR JOINING US.
I'M LEAH JOHNSON..
AND I'M FRANK MALLOY..THIS IS EYEWITNESS NEWS AT SIX.
WE'LL HAVE MORE ON THE DEADLY ROBBERY IN JUST A FEW MINUTES.. BUT FIRST... TONIGHT'S TOP STORY.

THIS MONTH...MACON CITY COUNCIL PICKED A PRIVATE INVESTMENT FIRM TO RECEIVE ONE AND A HALF MILLION DOLLARS IN GRANT MONEY....TO DEVELOP A DOWNTOWN MACON BUILDING.
BUT A KEY PERSON IN THAT PARTNERSHIP....OWES THE COUNTY MORE THAN TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS IN TAXES AND HIS COMPANY OWES ANOTHER 15 THOUSAND.
THAT'S ACCORDING TO DOCUMENTS FROM THE BIBB COUNTY TAX COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE.
ELEANOR LISSITZYN HAS BEEN LOOKING THROUGH THOSE DOCUMENTS... SHE'S JOINING US WITH MORE.
MACON CITY COUNCIL APPROVED THE GRANT PROJECT ON SEPTEMBER SEVENTH... AFTER HEARING A PITCH FROM DEVELOPER RONALD CONNERS.
HE TOLD THEM THE STATE GRANT... WAS THE LAST PIECE OF FINANCING THAT HIS GROUP...THIRD AND POPLAR INVESTORS... NEEDED TO TURN THE DANNENBERG BUILDING INTO SIXTY NINE LOFT APARTMENTS.
PRIVATE INVESTORS... AND BANK LOANS WOULD FUND THE REST OF THE SEVEN POINT THREE MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT.
THE BUILDING AT THIRD AND POPLAR STREETS ONCE HOUSED THE DANNENBERG COMPANY... MACON'S LARGEST DEPARTMENT STORE. IT CLOSED IN 1965.
I INTERVIEWED CONNERS THE NIGHT OF THE COUNCIL MEETING... HE SAID THE DEAL COULD HAVE A BIG EFFECT ON DOWNTOWN MACON.
"The core of downtown Macon is basically one block away. And thi has been piece of real estate, 100,000 square feet of real estate that has sat unused for thirty five years."
TAX DOCUMENTS SHOW RONALD CONNERS OWES JUST OVER TWENTY THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS IN PROPERTY TAXES ON HIS MARY ANNE DRIVE HOME.
CONNERS SAYS HE'S ALSO AN OWNER OF THE COMPANY WINSLOW HOMES LLC.
COUNTY TAX DOCUMENTS SHOW THE COMPANY OWES ABOUT FIFTEEN THOUSAND IN PROPERTY TAXES.
HE ALSO HAS SEVERAL LIENS ON HIS PROPERTIES.
I SPOKE WITH CONNERS BY PHONE.
HE SAID HIS BUSINESS HAS SUFFERED FROM THE ECONOMY.
HE TOLD ME HE'S WORKED OUT A PLAN WITH THE COUNTY TO REPAY THEM BY NOVEMBER 1.
CONNERS SAYS HE'S BEEN WORKING FOR SEVEN YEARS... TO LINE UP FUNDING FOR THE DANNENBERG PROJECT.
BUT HE SAID HIS OWN INVESTMENT IS 'NEGLIGIBLE' -- JUST TWO PERCENT.
BUT IN THE GRANT APPLICATION SUBMITTED TO THE CITY... RONALD CONNERS IS LISTED AS THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FINANCES...AND FOR PREPARING FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS FOR THE DANNENBERG.
LAST YEAR....THE STATE FIRST APPROVED THAT ONE AND A HALF MILLION STATE GRANT FOR THE ATLANTIC COTTON MILL RENOVATION... BUT AFTER THAT BUILDING BURNED DOWN IN MARCH... THE CITY CHOSE TO PUT THE GRANT TOWARD THE DANNENBERG.
THAT STILL REQUIRES STATE APPROVAL.
LAURA MATHIS WITH THE MIDDLE GEORGIA REGIONAL COMMISSION SAYS THEY PLAN TO ASK THE STATE NEXT WEEK..FOR PERMISSION TO SWITCH THAT GRANT TO THE DANNENBERG.
WE SPOKE TO GENE DUNWODY JUNIOR...ANOTHER PARTNER IN THE PROJECT...WHO ALSO SAID THAT CONNERS IS NOT A MAJOR INVESTOR.
HE SAID HE WAS CONCERNED THAT NEWS ABOUT CONNERS' FINANCES WOULD LEAD THE CITY...OR STATE....TO KILL THE GRANT.
MAYOR ROBERT REICHERT WAS NOT AVAILABLE FOR COMMENT.
HIS OFFICE ISSUED THIS STATEMENT ON HIS BEHALF....
"THE MAYOR THINKS ITS A MISTAKE TO LET A SMALL BLEMISH ON A MINORITY SHAREHOLDER DIMINISH WHAT IS GOING TO BE A GREAT PROJECT."

WARNER ROBINS POLICE SAY A BYRON MAN DIED AFTER BEING SHOT BY A TEENAGER.
43-YEAR OLD JOSE MARIN WAS KILLED OUTSIDE HIS STORE... MARIN MEXICAN FOOD ON BOWLING DRIVE LAST NIGHT.
BRITTINY BARBER FOUND OUT MORE ABOUT THE BUSINESS MAN WHO BECAME THE VICTIM OF A DEADLY ROBBERY.
<<
This is when we first met..."
FOR 13 YEARS FREDDA BONDS SAYS SHE WAS MARRIED TO HER BEST FRIEND....
Bonds: "He was generous. He was loving, kind. He would do anybody a favor."
43-YEAR OLD JOSE MARIN RAN A STORE IN WARNER ROBINS.. CALLED MARIN MEXICAN FOOD.
Bonds: " When he first came to this country, he had five dollars in his pocket and the clothes on his back and everything he's accomplished he accomplished with hard work"
BONDS SAYS HE WAS HARD AT WORK THURSDAY NIGHT.... UNLOADING A TRUCK AT THE STORE WHEN HE WAS SHOT AND KILLED.
Bonds: "I can't even describe how i'm going to miss him. This useless useless murder is just... My heart is broke..."
WARNER ROBINS POLICE CHARGED 17-YEAR OLD JERMONTAE MOSS WITH THE MURDER.
WHEN POLICE FOUND HIM.. THEY SAY HE ALSO HAD A STOLEN HANDGUN WITH HIM...
nats
JUST DOWN THE STREET FROM MARIN'S STORE... AUTOZONE EMPLOYEES SAY THEY WERE SHOCKED TO HEAR ABOUT THE MURDER
Ashley Holman: "He was just a great guy, friendly used to bring us over free food. Society's crazy. A good guy lost in a tragic way."
nats: "not good at all"
BONDS SAYS KNOWING HER HUSBAND IMPACTED OTHER LIVES... GIVES HER STRENGTH TO COPE WITH THE LOSS
Bonds: "It make my heart feel good to know that other people felt the way that I did."
BUT SHE SAYS FACING LIFE WITHOUT HIM... WILL BE AN UPHILL BATTLE.
Bonds: "I'm still looking for him to walk through that door. I can't imagine how it's going to be without him.">>
MOSS IS BEING HELD IN THE HOUSTON COUNTY JAIL.

WARNER ROBINS VOTERS WILL ELECT THREE COUNCIL MEMBERS IN THE NOVEMBER EIGHTH GENERAL ELECTION.
THE ONLY INCUMBENT RUNNING IS JOHN WILLIAMS... THE POST SIX REPRESENTATIVE SINCE 2008.
WILLIAMS HAS STAYED IN THE HEADLINES FOR BOTH HIS ACTIONS ON COUNCIL... AND ACCUSATIONS OF BAD BEHAVIOR.
RECORDS SHOW EIGHT POLICE REPORTS FILED AGAINST HIM SINCE 2008... BUT JUST ONE LED TO AN ARREST.
LORRA LYNCH JONES SAT DOWN WITH WILLIAMS TO GET HIS SIDE OF THE STORY.
<<nats- interview
72-YEAR OLD JOHN WILLIAMS AND HIS WIFE OF 52-YEARS... ELNA... WANT VOTERS TO LOOK BEYOND THE CONTROVERSY.
John Williams: (:53) "What we need is concentrate on the future."
WILLIAMS ACKNOWLEDGES MOVING AHEAD... MAY REQUIRE LOOKING BACK AT HIS RECENT PAST.
nats- file
THE FIRST REPORT FILED AGAINST HIM WAS IN JULY 2008. HE WAS ACCUSED OF SHOOTING A TURTLE AT THE CITY'S WATER TREATMENT PLANT... AND DENIED THE ALLEGATION. NO CHARGES RESULTED.
A YEAR LATER... WILLIAMS ALLEGEDLY ARGUED WITH RELATIVES ABOUT A WILL. THEY ACCUSED HIM OF THREATENING THEM WITH A SHOTGUN. POLICE DIDN'T PRESS CHARGES... SAYING THEY LACKED EVIDENCE.
WILLIAMS WOUDN'T TALK ABOUT THE ISSUE... BECAUSE A CIVIL CASE OVER THE WILL IS PENDING IN HOUSTON SUPERIOR COURT.
nats-
THE NEXT ISSUE CAME-UP IN JUNE OF LAST YEAR. NEAL ERWIN.. WHO IS NOW RUNNING AGAINST WILLIAMS IN THIS ELECTION... ACCUSED OF HIM OF COMING TO HIS HOUSE....AND LEAVING INTIMIDATING MESSAGES... AFTER ERWIN SENT A CRITICAL E-MAIL. NO CHARGES WERE FILED.
John Williams: (12:43) "If there was anything wrong, believe me, they would find it."
ABOUT A WEEK LATER.. POLICE RESPONDED TO A WARNER ROBINS WAFFLE HOUSE WHERE WILLIAMS ALLEGEDLY ACCUSED A WOMAN OF TAKING HIS CITY CELL PHONE. HE SAYS HE DIDN'T... BUT HE WAS INDICTED FOR MAKING FALSE STATEMENTS TO POLICE. THE FELONY CASE HAS YET TO GO TO TRIAL.
A STATE PANEL THAT REVIEWED THE CASE LAST SPRING... SAID IT HAS NO IMPACT ON HIS OFFICE.
John Williams: (14:00) "I say you have to look at the whole picture and evaluate it and you take it for what it is. It has nothing to do with my performance."
TWO OF THE EIGHT REPORTS WERE FILED BY TENANTSIN WILLIAMS' RENTAL PROPERTIES. ONE IN SEPTEMBER OF LAST YEAR... CLAIMED WILLIAMS THREATENED HIM WITH A KNIFE. THIS SUMMER... A FEMALE TENANT... ACCUSED HIM OF INNAPPROPIATE TOUCHING AND SEXUAL COMMENTS. DOCUMENTS SHOW POLICE CONDUCTED A LENGHTY INVESTIGATION OF THAT CASE... BUT SAY THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE PHYSICAL EVIDENCE TO CHARGE WILLIAMS.
HE SAYS BOTH TENANTS OWED HIM MONTHS OF RENT... AND FILED FALSE REPORTS TO EMBARRASS HIM.
John Williams: (11:35) "Look who I am. They think they can embarrass me and get away with stuff because I'm an elected official."
IN MAY... ANOTHER CITY LEADER ACCUSED WILLIAMS OF THROWING FOOD ON HIM...IN THE SAME WAFFLE HOUSE... AND IN AUGUST... A FAMILY ACCUSED WILLIAMS OF SWINGING A BAT AT SOME CHILDREN AND HITTING A TRUCK. AGAIN...NO CHARGES IN EITHER CASE.
Lorra: "Did you threaten anybody with a bat? John Williams: "No ma'am."
HE SAID HE TOOK THE ALUMINUM BAT AWAY FROM ANOTHER PERSON WHO WAS SWINGING IT.
IN ALL THE CASES... WILLIAMS SAYS POLICE INVESTIGATED THOROUGHLY...
John Williams: (12:15) "They have been more thorough on me, because of who I am. To be honest, I can't breath because if they arn't thorough in thier investigation of me, it looks improper."
WILLIAMS SAYS THE REPORTS GIVE PEOPLE THE WRONG IMPRESSION... SO THEY SHOULD FOCUS ON HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS LIKE HELPING TO KEEP TAXES LOW... BUILDING AN ANIMAL SHELTER AND PUSHING THE LAW ENFORCEMENT CENTER PROJECT FORWARD.
HE SAYS IF RE-ELECTED... HE DOESN'T PLAN FOR THE PATTERN TO CONTINUE.
John Williams: (15:00) "I would certainly hope not, but who know about the future. There wont' be anything on my part, never has been. When people lodge things against you, all you can do is defend yourself. You can't prevent it."
>> POLICE CHIEF BRETT EVANS SAYS POLICE INVESTIGATED EACH REPORT FILED AGAINST WILLIAMS... BUT MOST AMOUNTED TO ONE PERSON'S WORD AGAINST HIS....AND NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE.
HE SAYS HIS ACCUSERS WERE TOLD THEY COULD GO TO MAGISTRATE COURT... TO LET A JUDGE DECIDE IF THE CASE SHOULD BE PROSECUTED.
NONE OF THEM TOOK THAT STEP.
TO BE FAIR... WE ALSO LOOKED AT BOTH OF WILLIAMS' POST SIX OPPONENTS.
NEAL ERWIN HAD ONE POLICE REPORT IN 2008.
A FORMER ROOMMATE ACCUSED HIM OF CHANGING THE LOCKS... AND KEEPING SOME OF HIS BELONGINGS.
NO CHARGES WERE FILED.
THERE IS NO RECORD OF REPORTS FILED AGAINST RETIRED FIRE FIGHTER MIKE DAVIS.

MACON POLICE RETURNED EARLY TODAY TO THE SCENE OF ONE OF LAST WEEK'S DRIVE-BY SHOOTING... THIS TIME WITH A SEARCH WARRANT.
A POLICE NEWS RELEASE SAYS OFFICERS SEARCHED 1448 BERKNER AVENUE AT AROUND 2 A-M.
THAT'S THE HOME WHERE SIX PEOPLE WERE SHOT LAST WEEK DURING A LATE NIGHT PARTY ATTENDED BY MORE THAN A HUNDRED PEOPLE.
THE NEWS RELEASE TODAY SAYS POLICE FOUND AT LEAST THREE WEAPONS...PLUS MARIJUANA AND COCAINE.
THEY ALSO ARRESTED TWO PEOPLE.
ONE OF THEM WAS JARED SIMS...ONE OF THE PEOPLE WOUNDED EARLY SEPTEMBER 13TH.
POLICE SAID 22 PEOPLE WERE AT THE HOME...AT 2 A-M.

IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO CELEBRATE THE FIRST DAY OF FALL WITH A DINNER OUT.... YOU MAY WANT TO SEE HOW YOUR FAVORITE SPOTS DID WHEN THE HEALTH INSPECTOR DROPPED IN BEFORE YOU PICK A SPOT.
AMY AUBERT JOINS US WITH THIS WEEK'S RESTAURANT RATINGS.
WE'RE BACK IN HOUSTON COUNTY THIS WEEK...STARTING WITH OUR LOWEST SCORES....
ICHIBAN JAPANESE STEAKHOUSE AT 30-35 WATSON BOULEVARD SCORED A 77... THAT'S A "C"... AFTER A 74... ANOTHER "C" LAST TIME.
THE INSPECTION REPORT SAYS ADEQUATE HANDWASHING FACILITIES WERE NOT SUPPLIED AND ACCESSIBLE.
IT NOTES THAT AS A RISK FOR FOODBORNE ILLNESS.
THE REPORT ALSO SAYS FOOD WAS NOT SEPARATED AND PROTECTED.
JALISCO GRILL AT 10-23 SAINT PATRICK DRIVE IN PERRY... GOT A 74... A "C"... AFTER SCORING A 73... ANOTHER "C"... LAST TIME.
THE INSPECTOR SAYS FOOD CONTACT SURFACES WERE NOT CLEANED AND SANITIZED... AND PROPER DATE MARKING WAS NOT FOLLOWED.
AND RUBY TUESDAY AT 4-03 RUSSELL PARKWAY IN WARNER ROBINS ALSO SCORED A 74... A "C"... COMING AFTER A 92 OR "A" ON THE INSPECTION BEFORE.
THE REPORT SAYS FOOD WAS NOT HELD AT THE PROPER COLD HOLDING TEMPERATURE... AND UTNESILS AND EQUIPMENT WERE NOT PROPERLY STORED... DRIED... AND HANDLED.
NOW FOR A LOOK THE TOP SCORES OF THE WEEK... THIS WEEK'S GOL 2 GUYS AN A PIE AT 4-02 HIGHWAY 2-47 IN BONAIRE WHIPPED UP A 99... THAT'S AFTER SCORING A PERFECT 100... ON THE INSPECTION BEFORE.DEN SPATULA NOMINEES...
BOUCHEZ SPORTS BAR & GRILL AT 29-22 WATSON BOULEVARD IN CENTERVILLE SERVED UP A PERFECT SCORE... AFTER GETTING A 91... OR "A" LAST TIME.
AND SAIGON NOODLE HOUSE AT 4-02 HIGHWAY 247 IN BONAIRE... SCORED A 97... AN "A"... AFTER GETTING A 98... ANOTHER "A"... ON THE PREVIOUS INSPECTION.
JOIN US TONIGHT AS WE AVERAGE OUR NOMINEES PAST SCORES TO GIVE YOU THIS WEEK'S GOLDEN SPATULA WINNER....FRANK...LEAH?
FOR ALL YOUR RESTAURANT RATINGS... GO TO 13WMAZ DOT COM.
YOU'LL FIND THEM UNDER THE FEATURES TAB.

ONE CENTRAL GEORGIA SALON IS STANDING UP TO BREAST CANCER.
STRANDZ IN WARNER ROBINS IS HOSTING ITS CUTS FOR THE CURE SUNDAY AFTERNOON FROM ONE TO FIVE.
STRANDZ WILL OFFER HAIR CUTS... MANICURES... AND MASSAGES.
YOU CAN SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BY DONATING TEN DOLLARS FOR A PINK STRAND.
ALL DONATIONS GO TO THE SUSAN G. KOMEN FOR THE CURE FOUNDATION.
LAST YEAR ... OWNER KRISTI HARRELL SAYS THEY DOUBLED THE MONEY THEY RAISED... THIS YEAR SHE HOPES TO TRIPLE IT.
Kristi Harrell, Owner of Strandz: " It's something we can all relate to we are all affected by breast cancer in some form either a client, or a family member, a loved one or even personally so it's important to do what we can do and we can do hair so that's what we do."
YOU CAN SHOW YOUR SUPPORT SUNDAY AT STRANZ SALON IN HOUSTON COMMONS ON SOUTH HOUSTON LAKE ROAD.

THANKS FOR JOINING US.... WE'LL BE BACK TONIGHT AT 11.
BUT REMEMBER...THE NEWS IS ALWAYS ON AT 13WMAZ.COM !
THE EVENING NEWS IS UP NEXT.
HAVE A SAFE NIGHT EVERYONE.

Most Watched Videos