HELLO EVERYONE AND THANKS FOR JOINING US.I'M LORRA LYNCH JONES
AND I'M FRANK MALLOY..THIS IS EYEWITNESS NEWS AT SIX.
G-B-I RECORDS SHOW THAT LAST YEAR... MORE THAN HALF OF THE EAST DUBLIN POLICE DEPARTMENT... INCLUDING THE CHIEF OF POLICE... DID NOT HAVE THE POWER TO ARREST.
THAT INFORMATION CAME AFTER A G-B-I INVESTIGATION WHEN OFFICER JEFFREY DEAL SHOT AND KILLED 33-YEAR-OLD MELVIN WILLIAMS AT A TRAFFIC STOP LAST MAY.
AMY AUBERT JOINS US NOW WITH MORE ON THAT STORY.
FRANK... LORRA... KENNETH GLASGOW REPRESENTS THE WILLIAMS' FAMILY AND RELEASED SEVERAL DOCUMENTS IN THE CASE.
ONE OF THOSE DOCUMENTS... AN E-MAIL WHERE DUBLIN DISTRICT ATTORNEY CRAIG FRASER... ASKS FOR THE CASE TO BE RE-OPENED.
HE LISTED NINE QUESTIONS ABOUT DEAL'S CERTIFICATION AND ARREST POWERS.
BUT GLASGOW TOOK IT ONE STEP FURTHER... HE ASKED THE GEORGIA POST ABOUT EACH OF THE OFFICERS IN THE EAST DUBLIN DEPARTMENT.
AND ACCORDING TO A REPORT FROM THE POST AGENCY... MOST OF THE OFFICERS... INCLUDING DEAL AND POLICE CHIEF WILLIAM LUECKE... DID NOT HAVE THE POWER TO ARREST....THROUGH ALL OF 2010.....BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T UNDERGO TRAINING IN THE USE OF DEADLY FORCE.. REQUIRED BY STATE LAW.
GLASGOW PROVIDED VIDEO OF THE 20-10 SHOOTING... WHICH... ACCORDING TO A POLICE REPORT FILED BY THE OFFICER... HAPPENED AFTER A TRAFFIC STOP.
THE VIDEO SHOWS WILLIAMS AND DEAL FIGHTING... THEN AFTER WILLIAMS TAKES A COUPLE STEPS TOWARD DEAL... HE FIRES HIS GUN...
...SHOOTING WILLIAMS IN THE STOMACH.
ACCORDING TO DOCUMENTS... DEAL LOST HIS POWER TO ARREST NEARLY 5 MONTHS BEFORE THE SHOOTING INCIDENT.
THE FAMILY'S ATTORNEY... MARIO WILLIAMS... SAYS A LAURENS COUNTY MAGISTRATE JUDGE WILL HOLD A PROBABLE CAUSE HEARING TOMORROW ON WHETHER TO ISSUE A WARRANT AGAINST OFFICER DEAL.
GLASGOW ALSO ARGUES THAT A DASHBOARD VIDEO OF THE SHOOTING CONTRADICTS DEAL'S ACCOUNT OF THE ARREST....THAT THE OFFICER HAD NO REASON TO STOP WILLIAMS...AND THAT EAST DUBLIN'S POLICE LACKED ANY TRAINING OR POLICY ON THE USE OF DEADLY FORCE.
A MACON MAN CONVICTED OF KILLING ANOTHER TEENAGER IN A 2010 GUNFIGHT IN THE VILLAGE GREEN NEIGHBORHOOD RECEIVED A LIFE SENTENCE TODAY.
JUDGE MARTHA CHRISTIAN GAVE 19-YEAR-OLD SHAWN KITCHENS A LIFE SENTENCE FOR FELONY MURDER AND ADDITIONAL 10 YEARS FOR AGGRAVATED ASSAULT.
KITCHENS WAS CONVICTED LAST FRIDAY IN THE DEATH OF 17-YEAR-OLD RODRION GRAY.
THE SHOOTING HAPPENED JULY 27, 2010, DURING A GUNFIGHT SPARKED BY AN ARGUMENT AMONG SEVERAL TEENAGERS.
KITCHENS WILL BE ABLE TO ASK FOR PAROLE AFTER 30 YEARS.
ANOTHER DEFENDANT, TRAVIS TAYLOR, WAS CONVICTED FRIDAY IN THE SAME TRIAL ON AGGRAVATED ASSAULT AND FIREARMS CHARGES.
CHRISTIAN TODAY SENTENCED TAYLOR TO 25 YEARS IN PRISON PLUS 35 YEARS PROBATION.
THE DODGE COUNTY MAN CONVICTED OF MURDER... IS STILL MISSING.
ACCORDING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS PHIL MINCEY DIDN'T RETURN TO THE MACON TRANSITIONAL CENTER AFTER WORK ON FRIDAY.
BRITTINY BARBER FOUND COURT RECORDS THAT SHOW... MINCEY'S SEVERAL BRUSHES WITH THE LAW... INCLUDING AN ESCAPE FROM JAIL.
PHIL MINCEY WAS SENTENSED TO LIFE IN PRISON HERE AT DODGE COUNTY COURTHOUSE IN AUGUST OF 1985
Tim Vaughn Dodge County District Attorney: "
THAT WAS FOR THE SHOOTING DEATH OF MARY ANN HARRIS.
ACCORDING TO COURT DOCUMENTS THAT MURDER HAPPENED JUST WEEKS AFTER MINCEY WAS RELEASED FROM JAIL- SERVING THREE YEARS FOR ESCAPING THE DODGE COUNTY JAIL IN 1980.
DISTRICT ATTORNEY TIM VAUGHN SAYS WHEN LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ESCAPE LAST WEEK... THEY IMMEDIATELY TOOK ACTION.
Tim Vaughn: WE were all surprised Friday night at about 11:00, I learned, a chief deputy called me and told me what was going on. The authorities here were notifying people that were concerned with this case and some relatives that he may have some ill will towards that he was on the loose."
VAUGHN SAYS IF CAUGHT MINCEY COULD FACE CHARGES FOR THIS ESCAPE.. AND THAT COULD ADD 5 TO 10 YEARS TO HIS SENTENCE.
I ALSO SPOKE TO THE VICTIM, MARY ANN HARRIS' SON. HE SAID HE WAS TICKED OFF WHEN HE FOUDN OUT ABOUT MINCEY'S ESCAPE. AND HE SAID HE HOPES THEY CATCH HIM QUICKLY.
IN EASTMAN BRITTINY BARBER 13WMAZ EYEWITNESS NEWS.>>
THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS SAYS MINCEY IS ABOUT FIVE FOOT 10 INCHES AND 179 POUNDS.
HE HAS BROWN HAIR AND BLUE EYES.
THE DODGE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE SAYS THEY'RE FOLLOWING POSSIBLE LEADS ON MINCEY....BUT CORRECTIONS SPOKESWOMAN KRISTEN STANCIL WOULD NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CASE ...INCLUDING HOW MINCEY WAS SENT TO A WORK RELEASE CENTER.
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THE CASE...YOU CAN CALL THE DODGE COUNTY SHEIRFF'S OFFICE AT 478-374-8131.
THAT NUMEBR AGAIN 478-374-8131
LAST NIGHT...WE TOLD YOU HOW BIBB COUNTY SCHOOL OFFICIALS SAID A STATE GUN LAW....PREVENTS CAMPUS POLICE FROM DIRECTING TRAFFIC OFF SCHOOL GROUNDS.
BUT DOZENS OF VIEWERS QUESTIONED THAT.
CAMPUS POLICE CHIEF DANIEL DECOURSEY SAYS THE STATE LAW...SENATE BILL L308...WAS DESIGNED TO HELP LICENSED GUN OWNERS....BUT INADVERTENTLY TOOK AWAY CAMPUS POLICE AUTHORITY OFF SCHOOL GROUNDS..
BUT WE TALKED WITH ONE OF THE LAW'S PRIMARY SPONSORS... STATE SENATOR MITCH SEABAUGH.
HE SAYS DECOURSEY...AND OTHER BIBB SCHOOL LEADERS ARE NOT INTERPRETING THE LAW CORRECTLY..
Mitch Seabaugh, State Senator: This only deals with crimes and offenses about dangerous instruments in regards to carrying weapons within school safety zones. It has nothing to do with traffic.
CHIEF DECOURSEY STUCK BY THE SCHOOL'S INTERPRETATION OF SENATE 308. HE SAYS SCHOOL BOARD ATTORNEY WARREN PLOWDEN ADVISED HIM THAT CAMPUS POLICE NO LONGER HAVE JURISDICTION OFF SCHOOL PROPERTY.
DECOURSEY SAYS HE AGREES.
PLOWDEN COULD NOT BE REACHED FOR COMMENT.
FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS.. 13-W-M-A-Z HAS SHOWCASED THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC IN CENTRAL GEORGIA ON EYEWITNESS NEWS AT SIX.
TONIGHT.. WE INVITE YOU TO WATCH A ONE HOUR SPECIAL ON THE TOPIC.. "CUTTING EDGE: FIGHTING FAT"
IT AIRS AT 10 P-M RIGHT HERE ON 13WMAZ.
TODAY'S 13WMAZ DOT COM WEB POLL ASKS...
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR WEIGHT?
SO FAR... 4 PERCENT OF YOU SAY UNDERWEIGHT...
29 PERCENT SAY YOU'RE HEALTHY...
51 PERCENT DESCRIBE YOURSELVES AS OVERWEIGHT...
AND 16 PERCENT SAY... OBESE...
YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT TO VOTE... LOOK FOR THE QUESTION ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF OUR HOMEPAGE AT 13WMAZ DOT COM.
PAYNE CITY COULD SOON BE HOME TO A BIO MEDICAL WASTE FACILITY... CITY COUNCIL IS SCHEDULED TO VOTE ON WHETHER TO ALLOW MED SAFE LLC TO LOCATE WITHIN CITY LIMITS AT A MEETING THIS EVENING.
AS ELEANOR LISSITZYN EXPLAINS... SOME MACON CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS SAY THEY'RE NOT CERTAIN IT'S SAFE... AND COULD HURT NEIGHBORHOODS.
BUT COMPANY OWNER KEN TAYLOR SAYS HE'S FOLLOWED ALL STATE GUIDELINES... AND THE PLANT WOULD BRING NEW JOBS TO A SMALL CITY.
Tuesday night Macon City Council voted to express their concern about the proposed biomedical waste facility that could go here, right next to Freedom park.
Part of the problem says council woman Lauren Benedict is that the trucks that would be used to get the waste to the facility would have to travel along a portion of a city street, Gardener Street, to my right.
Property owner Ken Taylor says if the city won't let him use Gardener Street, he'll just switch the route, he says he could just as easily use Rose Avenue, to my left, which is owned by Payne City.
Benedict says it's just not good for the area..
City Engineer Nigil Floyd says that if trucks drive on that road on a daily basis it could sink and crack that road becuase it's just not meant for heavy traffic
Company and property owner KenTaylor says if Macon won't let him use Gardener, he'll just use a Payne City Road.
He says his company would bring 8 jobs.
But Benedict says it just isn't a good idea for the area.
Payne CIty Council is scheduled to take a vote on the facility Wednesday night.
Taylor says he is also waiting on a permit from the state.
>> PAYNE CITY'S POPULATION IS ABOUT 220...AND IT'S LOCATED ENTIRELY WITHIN MACON CITY LIMITS....OFF VINEVILLE AVENUE. TONIGHT'S MEETING IS SCHEDULED TO START AT A SIX THIRTY AT PAYNE CITY HALL
ELEANOR LISSITZYN WILL BRING YOU MORE ON THIS STORY ON EYEWITNESS NEWS AT ELEVEN.
IT'S SUPER WEDNESDAY AT GEORGIA MILITARY COLLEGE... THE FIRST DAY AND ORIENTATION FOR THE NEWEST CLASS OF RECRUITS.
AS CANDACE ADORKA REPORTS...THE SCHOOL'S LEADERS SAY THERE'S A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TODAY'S CADET'S... WHO'VE LIVED FOR THE PAST DECADE WITH 9-11 AND ITS AFTERMATH... AND THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE.
WHEN THE WORLD TRADE CENTERS FELL... IRWING SMITH WAS IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.
10 YEARS LATER... IT'S SMITH'S FIRST DAY AT GEORGIA MILITARY COLLEGE... THE DAY WHEN HE STARTS TO FOLLOW IN HIS FATHER'S FOOTSTEPS.
"The real reason i wanna go into the military, my dad's in the military, and i really look up to him he's a sargeant."
HIS DAD IS ON HIS FOURTH DEPLOYMENT TO AFGHANISTAN SINCE 9/11.
"There'll be certain periods of time where you don't see him and you're wondering if he's ever gonna come home. I guess that's hard to deal with.... but I guess it makes me proud."
19-YEAR-OLD NICHOLE FERGUSON JUST WRAPED UP HER FIRST YEAR AS AN EARLY COMMISSION CADET... WHICH MAKES HER LIEUTENANT FERGUSON.
SHE SAYS SHE COMES FROM A MILITARY FAMILY AND 9/11 STRENGTHENED HER RESOLVE TO JOIN THEIR RANKS.
"right now my brother is in Afghnistan fighting the war and so I take it as if this is my calling my duty because I want to be able to protect the people that I care for, I want to be able to protect my family."
SeRGEANT JOSEPH HENAO IS IN CHARGE OF ALL THE CADETS.
"The training that they recieve, they realize that it's for a purpose and that there's a reason. It's not all in theory as it was before 9/11"
HE SAYS THE NUMBER OF CADETS HAS AT LEAST DOUBLED SINCE 9-11. .. ESPECIALLY AMONG THE EARLY COMMISSION CADETS....WHO WILL BE SECOND LIEUTENANTS IN THE ARMY IN TWO YEARS.
"it was 12 in 1997/98 for our class. and now there's over 40."
SMITH GREW UP DURING TWO ACTIVE WARS... BUT NOW HE SAYS WAR IS LESS OF A THREAT AND MORE OF A CALLING.
"i was real nervous about the situation that I got myself into, but now i'm ready."
CANDACE ADORKA.... 13 WMAZ EYEWITNESS NEWS.
>> THE NEW CADETS BELONG TO GEORGIA MILITARY COLLEGE'S 133RD CORPS OF CADETS.
THEY START CLASSES MONDAY.
A LOCAL BARBECUE SAUCE MAKER BROUGHT SOME HEAT....ON BEHALF OF A GROUP THAT SUPPORTS CHILDREN WITH CANCER..
IT'S A STORY THAT COMES STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART.
MRS. GRIFFIN'S ORIGINAL BARBECUE SAUCE WROTE A CHECK FOR THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS TO JAY'S HOPE.
THE LOCAL COMPANY SELLS THEIR SAUCE AT STORES AROUND THE STATE... INCLUDING THE ZEBULON ROAD WAL MART.
GRIFFIN'S PRESIDENT... ROLAND NEEL SAYS PROCEEDS FROM EVERY BOTTLE...WILL HELP JAY'S HOPE.
Roland Neel, President of Mrs. Griffin's Barbecue Sauce: "We're just very proud, Mrs. Griffin's Barbecue Sauce to give back to the community that has been so good to Mrs. Griffin's for the last seventy-six years we've been made here in Macon Georgia, we're giving back to central Georgia we plan on doing this on a monthly basis."
NEEL SAYS MRS. GRIFFINS WILL SUPPORT A DIFFERENT CANCER ORGANIZATION EACH MONTH.
THANKS FOR JOINING US.... WE'LL BE BACK TONIGHT AT 11.
BUT REMEMBER...THE NEWS IS ALWAYS ON AT 13WMAZ.COM !
THE EVENING NEWS IS UP NEXT.
HAVE A SAFE NIGHT EVERYONE.